Wednesday 8 June 2011

Pine Mouth!!

About 3 weeks ago one of my bottom teeth broke while I was eating my lunch.  It didn't hurt - just one minute I had a whole tooth and the next..... half!!  So I booked an appointment at the dentist for the following week and arranged to have a white filling, rather than the silver ones I've been used to.

At around the same time of this happening I started to get a real horrible taste in my mouth - around the throat area and down the sides.  Awful. Yuk.  I presumed this taste may have been something to do with my broken tooth and thought that all would be well after the filling.
So, I went along last week for my first white filling.  Apparently during the procedure for white fillings the mouth needs to be kept as dry as possible.  So, in goes some kind of clamp in between the tooth that needs filling and the one next to it.  Then one end of a bright purple plastic 'sheet' with a small hole in it gets attached to the clamp, with the tooth popping through the hole. The other end of the sheet gets 'flossed' into place - somehow. The 'sheet' is to stop saliva reaching the tooth. Then the procedure begins.

What I want to know is why do dentists talk to you and ask questions when you have a clamp, a sheet, floss,a  suction 'thingy' and a drill all invading a small area!!!! Impossible to answer.  "Are you alright?" Errr, not really. But please don't talk to me. Let's just get this over with!!!

Anyway, an hour later, having learnt how wide my mouth could stretch, all was finished.  The filling looks good and I was thankful to go home. (Do need to say here that my dentist is a very nice guy and very gentle. He did a good job)

However, I still have that awful taste in my mouth.  So I Googled 'bad taste in mouth' and it brought up several things, BUT two lines on Google described my symptoms exactly so I clicked onto something like 'Doc net' and read about other people's experience with this nasty taste.
Turns out it's related to Pine Nuts and is commonly known as Pine Mouth.  There was a report that I was able to click onto which explained that certain Pine Nuts which had been imported from a certain area had some kind of ingredient/mineral/? in them which was over a certain per-centage and this was causing a problem.  Although they are not lethal, they are not particularly good for you either.

Three weeks ago I started to eat a small handful of pine nuts two or three times a night instead of a packet of crisps or a biscuit - trying to be healthy!!
I don't think all Pine Nuts have the same problem, because I have eaten these before and never experienced this problem.

So,  I have now stopped eating Pine Nuts and hopefully this awful taste will go away. So much for trying to be healthy!!!! LOL!!!!!

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Oh dear, I had no idea that pine nuts could be a problem. Hope you lose the nasty taste soon.

Mari said...

Who would have known? Hope that taste goes away soon!

Cherdecor said...

What would we do without our computers? I am going to stay away from Pine Nuts, however, I don't remember ever eating them.
I am glad that your new filling is
working out well.

Carol said...

Thank you !!!!